Wednesday 9 September 2009

Fairs, fairs, fairs...

I've not done many fairs to date - in fact, I can count them on one hand and still hold a biscuit in it (handy, that!) However, with full-time beady business fast approaching, this autumn and Christmas, things don't half happen. Not all fairs are confirmed yet, however, here's what I *think* I'm doing!

19th September - GBUK bead fair - mainly beads, but also jewellery
24th-25th October - UK Wedding Show, Manchester - scary, this one, it's massive. I will be there with Now Forevermore wedding stuff.
14th November (not confirmed yet) - Christmas fair in centre of Sheffield (Leopold Square)
29th-30th November - Craft Candy "Candy Cane" Christmas market

Plus, I'll be holding an open studio morning or afternoon (or day?) once my studio is finished.

That's at least five days of selling, possibly seven. What does that mean? Fairs are great - you get to meet new people, you get to chat, you get to see other people's goodies, and, hopefully, you get to sell. But how much? How much stock to pile up? How to balance beads & jewellery (& tiaras ;o)) on display? For me, while I work full-time, it also means five (or seven!) days when I can't make beads - a potentially serious loss of income. Will it be worth it? Would I be better off just shutting the door to my garage and bead away? No, I don't really think so. But I don't half hope the sales figures don't prove me wrong. Having said all this, I've made about 60 pieces of jewellery, and they're on my website for now - new beads will follow later this week, with a little surprise in store ;o)


4 comments:

  1. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that! Good luck with them, Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD necklace. That's really kick ass. It looks like something I would concoct (I hope you think that's a complement). I work at a bead store and I know some customers who would die nine times over if they got to try that one . . . you can tell it's high quality and made by high quality talent. Know that is appreciated by this aficionado

    ReplyDelete
  3. whooops. I just looked on your shop - it's a bracelet. All the rest of my post holds true. Great store, by the way. The excellent pictures are such an asset

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks June, I just found out the 14th of November is a definite, so all systems go!

    And thank you so much, Erin, for your kind words - they are the kind of paragraph to return to whenever doubt settles in :o))

    ReplyDelete